+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Russian Car Forum's Moderators:

The forum has grown large enough that we need a moderator to help manage it. Please join me in congratualating Maxmermer as our first moderator. Founder Kyle Keeton and I agreed on Max as the best choice for this job because of a combination of factors:

his large contributions of information;

his fluency in both English and Russian;

his cultural balance: he is originally from the FSU, and now lives in California.

Max is the owner of the 1952 Pobeda that was originally smuggled out of Russia that same year by American businessman Stanley Slotkin. The car was brought immediately to the US, and for years was displayed to the American public as a Cold War curiosity. Please see the topic Stanley Slotkin's Pobyeda in our Russian Cars in the USA category.

USA US Texas

Congratulations Maxmermer! (assuming he's up for the task...it can be a lot of work to be a moderator)

I am curious Mark about how this will work. What role will a moderator perform exactly? Usually in a forum a moderator has the task of "keeping things clean", handling flame wars, deleting inappropriate posts/users, just "taking out the trash" in general, that kinda stuff. Some forums are moderated, some not. Even within a single forum, sometimes categories/threads are moderated while others are not. Heck, in some forums all posts must first pass through the moderator for "pre-approval" prior to them even being visible to the other readers/contributors at all! (kinda nazi-ish in my mind, but I digress...)

So what is the model that RCFF will follow?

Thanks,

Jerry
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1970 Plymouth Road Runner
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1992 Toyota 4X4 - 324,000+ miles and still kicking
    2000 F350 XLT SD 7.3L PSD DRW CC LB 4x4

To begin with, Max is up to the task. He wouldn't have been chosen if he wasn't.

This forum doesn't have to be micro-managed; our members do a good job of behaving themselves, keeping their contributions focused on the subject matter, and placing their topics in the proper categories. There is very little policing to be done, but as the number of posts increases, this does eat up up a lot of my time. Max can help with this.

As we gain more Russian-speaking members, Max can help overcome any language barriers between them and our English-speaking members, because of his excellent skills in both languages.

The reasons for choosing Max have already been explained in my first post in this topic. I don't think we have to micro-define his role. That role will develop more as the forum grows.

Moderators do NOT have access to the admin panel:
    • Mods can delete and mark posts as spam
    • Mods can lock posts
    Kyle

Maxmermer and Betauser are the moderators of Russian Car Forum!
    Thanks
    Kyle

Update on who is who!
    If you are grouchy we have kylesvet, av8or1, betauser and maxmermer to help out!
    Just leave us a message and we will try to get back as quick as possible.
    This is a low pressure forum that just is what it says - Russian Cars!
    All ideas are needed and wanted...
    Kyle

We start the new year 2011 with a much larger forum than last year! So we now have 5 admins to help keep all in order...
    kylesvet, av8or1, betauser, maxmermer and markcrowel...
    The admins are here to help and control issues that they find wrong.
    With 50 members now we are becoming one of the largest Russian car in English websites on the internet...
    That is an important factor of this site is that it gives the Western world a look at a unique and wonderful world of Russian cars that they would not be able to see anywhere else...
    Kyle

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information