+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: My search for a Volga

Russia Uzbekistan
    Congratulations

USA US Texas

SEARCHING FOR A VOLGA: BRINGING IT HOME (cont.)

Thank you Max and betauser for the congratulations, I appreciate it.

It's a little before 5 am and I am off to Houston. Hopefully tonight I'll feel up to posting some pictures from today's events! I already have enough adrenaline pumping through my system to run a marathon! It's gonna be a long day, but a good one!

Thanks again, talk soon!
    Jerry
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1970 Plymouth Road Runner
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1992 Toyota 4X4 - 324,000+ miles and still kicking
    2000 F350 XLT SD 7.3L PSD DRW CC LB 4x4

USA US Texas

Well y'all, I am proud to announce that my 1983 GAZ Volga 3102 is resting comfortably in her new home in my garage.

It's an amazing thing to leave this morning for work and see her parked there. It makes me want to stay home today and start working on her, but alas no, work becons and someone must earn the salary around here, so ...

More later. I'm tired, sleepy. Long day yesterday but overall a very good one. Details and photos soon, hopefully tonight when I return home. Just wanted to give you a quick update for now...

Thanks,
    Jerry
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

USA US Texas

Hi y'all! Sorry for the delay in posting, but I made a little deal with myself that stated that I could do almost no "playing around" until I had finished my income tax return and mailed it off to the IRS. I completed that task and mailed it off yesterday morning after almost a week of working on it, so now I can "play" again! Wooo-hoooo! I attended to a few technical issues with the car during the past couple of days and then took it out for a quick spin around the block tonight after work! WOOOO-HOOOOOOOO!!! But more on that later...

These next few posts will concern only the bringing of my 3102 back from Houston to Austin. Once I have posted those photos I will delve into the process that I am having to undergo to title, inspect and register my Volga in TEXAS. Although it is here, I believe that this information is just as valuable as any other aspect of this process so I will share my experiences with this part of the equation too. I suspect it could really help someone someday.

And with that here are the first few photos!!! I tell you what, every morning that I leave for work and every evening when I return I absolutely G-L-O-W with both amazement and pride over my Volga. It not only captures my eye but also my imagination. Thinking about the life this vehicle must have lived, what it has seen, who has ridden in it ... I just love having my piece of Russian history alive and well, sitting in my garage!

And I'm not alone either. About 8 or 10 people have literally made appointments to come over and see it, even prior to me putting it into a local car show! WOW!

Ok, ok. Enough of the ramblings of a proud owner. To the pictures! I am going to try to make at least two posts tonight, but we'll see how it goes. My connection is S-L-O-W at the moment ... what can I say - I have satellite Internet now that I live "in the country" ... cable isn't available where I live. Yikes! Anyway, this means long upload times, so I will see what I can get done. Here is the detail of each photo:

1) The truck backing into the loading dock at the Customs broker's warehouse

2) The driver doing something called "cracking the seal"

3) First door opens - boy but that container looked "odd" to me because it was so short in length...I guess I am just more accustomed to seeing the larger, 55 foot containers so this one looks "stubby" - hah!

Thank you for reading!
    Jerry
    Attached Images
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

USA US Texas

More photos! Enjoy!

4) Second door opens and there she is!

5) Aligning the truck with the dock ... COME TO PAPA!

6) Truck fully docked

Thank you for reading!

Jerry
    Attached Images
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

USA US Texas

More photos!

7) Backing out of the container (not under power, but being G-E-N-T-L-Y pushed out, per my instructions!)

8) As she is unloaded, it looks to me as though she has survived the trip ok. The guys who removed her from the container commented on how tightly she had been secured. One of them got frustrated because it was so difficult to remove the straps and chocks!

9) Fully out of the the container and into the warehouse. What a thing of BEAUTY!

Thank you for reading,
    Jerry
    Attached Images
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

USA US Texas

More photos! Continue enjoying! I know I am! WOOOO-HOOOOOO!

10) The truck pulls away ... I still say that the shorter container just looks "funny" somehow ... but it did its job by bringing my Volga safely from Finland to Houston! And I was also glad that she was in her own container! That's travelling across the ocean in style, if you are a car that is.

11) After removing a work glove from the air intake, jump-starting the battery (the key had been left in the ignition with the switch on! - WHAT?), manually priming the fuel system, filling the clutch master cylinder reservoir with brake fluid and removing the cardboard that had been placed in between the front chrome grille and the radiator (and not in that order) I finally managed to get her started and drove her out of the warehouse and onto TEXAS soil! I couldn't help taking her for a quick spin around the Customs broker's parking lot either! Even though that was quite small, I didn't want to go outside of it because at that point I didn't have insurance, a title, license plates or registration. Still, it was an incredible joy to drive her for the first time! I will say it again: WOOOOO-HOOOOOOO!

12) And of course my trusty ol' 4X4 had to come and say 'hello' to the new member of the family! They're both black in color, which is about where the comparison ends!

Thank you for reading!
    Jerry
    Attached Images
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

USA US Texas

13) Despite making several phone calls, I could not find an auto transport carrier who could pick up my Volga on two days notice and bring it to Austin. Therefore I had to decide between waiting until they could pick her up, which was going to be several days or bringing her home myself on a single-car trailer. I didn't want my 3102 sitting around a parking lot unprotected, so I opted to rent a U-Haul trailer and truck and bring her home myself. I recruited a friend of mine to come down with me. I decided that it would be better if he drove the rental truck and I followed in my truck so that I could monitor the status and condition of the tie downs on the trailer as we were enroute. This turned out to be prophetic because one of the wheel straps came loose when we were only about 10 miles from my house. What a true waste that would have been if we would have encountered a problem so close to home after a long trip halfway around the world, right!?! Hah! Not on my watch. Despite being tired, I pulled us over and re-secured it. We made it home without incident. Which is the way I like it. This is the first of three photos I will post of what she looked like on the U-Haul trailer. A trailer that is obscenely bright orange in color. Yikes!

14) What she looked like on the trailer from the front

15) Ready to go home to Austin!

Thank you for reading!
    Jerry
    Attached Images
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

USA US Texas

16) A picture of the original 1983 GAZ 3102 factory owner's manual - how cool is that?!?!

17) As the old Willie Nelson song said: "On the road again" ... photo of us enroute to Austin. We're still in Houston at this point. I think that this was taken on the toll road going South towards highway 290. The trip home was both funny AND cool because I would see people pass me by rather quickly (we limited our speed to 55 MPH) but then they would slow down to look at my Volga! Hah! COOL!

18) And here she is later that night (it was a 4.5 hour drive home, parts of it through traffic - yuck!) in her new home in my garage. BEAUTIFUL! STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL!

Ok that's it for tonight gang. I am tired. I have more photos that I took the next day and I will try to post those tomorrow along with an update regarding the title and registration stuff.

Everyone take care and as always, thank you for reading!
    Jerry
    Attached Images
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

it looks good Jerry, I hope the Uhaul trailer cost you less than hiring a transporter,
    I think the booklet on your pictures is only part of the owners manual, you might want to pick up one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/VOLGA-GAZ-3102-1...item19b9bb47b4

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information