+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39

Thread: Restoring a Volga

Glad to see you are back on the case!
    I have glass and rubbers I think waiting at my house for you my man.

USA US Texas

DAILY DRIVER UPDATE

Ok, I mentioned in the search thread that the 1987 GAZ 3102 had arrived. Victory, yup, that it was. Mind you I knew that this second 3102 wasn't in great condition, but all the times I saw it in Moscow I didn't really get a very close look. And so I didn't exactly know just how rough it was. Therefore a couple of weekends ago I went in for a closer look.

The news isn't good y'all. Frankly speaking this thing is in full-on POS status. Paint bubbles everywhere you look, rust in and on everything, body deformation, dents, missing parts, inoperative parts, leaks and I'm just getting warmed up with the list of the issues I found. That said, the real sins lie where you think they'd lie: underneath. The rockers on both sides are about as bad as I've ever seen. Most of the bottom side is flat-out missing and what is left is rusted so badly that it's beyond salvageable. There's no structural integrity there whatsoever. And the rust just goes on and on.

So. Long story short version is that even though I could repair this (I've done rockers before, sure, but they aren't fun) and hell anything is reparable, I don't want that much work. I have too many projects waiting in the wings and so I've decided to abandon the thought/idea/plan of building this car back using its original structure.

Instead I've decided to go with one of the ideas I had a long time ago, which is to switch bodies with a good running daily driver type car. Sapounas did this when he put a 24 body on a Jaguar, perhaps some of you remember that project. And it's been done many times, in many countries. I recently saw where some guy in Ukraine put a 24 on a BMW.

In this particular case, it's the best and really only option. The actual body of the 1987 doesn't have too many faults. There are several, yes, but not like the underside. The point being that it makes a good candidate for just such a project.

And with that I also decided that I didn't want to deal with the hassle that Sapounas did with differing wheelbase and width lengths. Therefore I decided to find a car that had the same two measurements, or as close as possible, to the 3102. After searching around, I found the Acura Vigor. It's also a 4 door sedan that has very close numbers to the 3102:

VEHICLE WHEELBASE WIDTH
    Acura Vigor 2805mm (110.4") 1780mm (70.1")
    GAZ 3102 2800mm (110.2") 1820mm (71.7")

The downside to this is that they only made the Vigor for three years in the early 90s. You can still get parts for them however and those who own them seem to like them.

So I found one in Georgia that was only a 2-owner car with a good service history. I bought it from a guy in Atlanta, Georgia. It arrived this weekend; I've had it transferred into a TEXAS car and have been driving it around to get a feel for it. Overall it's in good shape for an old daily driver type car. I had to replace the valve cover gasket straight away because it was leaking and that won't pass a TEXAS inspection, for example. There are other minor niggles, but I won't go into them. The point I'd like to make is that I'm just not sure how I feel about this "marriage" if you will. The Vigor has a 5-cylinder engine with an automatic transmission. Originally I wanted something with more power, a V6 at the very minimum, possibly with a turbo. The Vigor has some pep to it, but not as much as I'd like. And at the end of the day an Acura is simply a "high end Honda", so it drives and feels like a Honda, if you know what I mean. Being a TEXAN I like things to be big, beefy, solid and strong in general. My dually being the prime example. This little Honda ain't that! Everytime I've been in a 3102 I generally thought that it was bigger and beefier, at least for a Russian sedan. A Cadillac it ain't, but bigger than most it was. That was something I always liked about the 3102. Heck in a crazy way I wonder if the Acura frame could support the body of the 3102, as I'm relatively certain it weighs more! LOL

Anyway, I'm rambling. All that said, the plan is to proceed with the union of the two cars. Any thoughts or feedback is welcomed. Some reference pictures are attached.
    Attached Images
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1970 Plymouth Road Runner
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1992 Toyota 4X4 - 324,000+ miles and still kicking
    2000 F350 XLT SD 7.3L PSD DRW CC LB 4x4

Australia Estonia

Jerry, Not sure what to say...
    I do not know how you have the strength!
    You are one heck of a brave man!

:-(
    only original, only hardcore
    :-(
    1957 volga gaz-m21B
    2016 BMW X4M
    2012 ducati monster 796
    www.volga21.com

USA US Texas

I unloaded the block of the 4022 engine that I purchased from a car buddy of mine in Moscow, Vadim. I put it on the engine stand and stored it in the outbuilding. This engine is dirty after the trip from Russia and needs some real TLC. Fortunately I was able to pick up a set of new cylinder liners, pistons and rings while I was in Moscow over the holidays. Thanks to Vadim and Denis for that. Anyway, I also removed the two windshields that Maxim got for me and had put in the front seat. Unfortunately one of them cracked in several places, so it is unusable. But the other one is ok. Also, I think that Charles has a couple of windshields for a 3102 that he transported in his last shipment, so hopefully I can get my hands on those someday. lol

Anyway, a couple of pictures, purely for posterity's sake.
    Attached Images
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

USA US Texas

BTW, I am strongly considering selling the Vigor after driving it around for a few days. It just looks and feels like a Honda! I'd like something beefier, "more solid", and stronger for the Volga. Looking into old Lexus LS 400s from the early 90s right now, as they too had a similar wheel base, though not as close as the Vigor. Anyway, it's still TBD at this point, so don't hold me to anything! LOL
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

well, if it's any help---a lot of guys in Russia consider Mercedes W123 and Volvo 240/940 donor cars when they try to blend Volga M21 body with modern mechanics.
    1957 volga gaz-m21B
    2016 BMW X4M
    2012 ducati monster 796
    www.volga21.com

USA US Texas

Thanks D - I've seen a few examples of that. Saw a BMW laid down as the running frame and gear for an M24.
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information