+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Restoring a Volga

USA US Texas

alexandr-

Ok then, you have my curiosity up just enough that I will measure the height of the head the next time I am out to work on the Volga. And yes, 87 is the lowest octane fuel that you can purchase in the USA. I don't know what this equates to in Russia, so I'll have to take your word for now.

Since taking delivery of it, I have been running 87 in my 3102 because of a notion I had that it might require a lower octane fuel, which might be correct. We'll see. That said, it seems to be running just fine with 87.

Funny, but in the midst of a sneezing/coughing fit late last night I realized that I will need to run my 3102 a little more because I added fuel not too long ago. During the restoration I plan to drop and clean the fuel tank and would rather do that with nothing (or very little) in it rather than the 2/3 that is in there now. Oh well. :-)

max- thanks for the general hijacking concern, but no worries. Issues of fitment definitely apply - generally speaking - to my Volga and even though the 3102's construction differed from the Pobeda's, it makes for interesting reading just the same. :-)

Thanks again,

Jerry
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1970 Plymouth Road Runner
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1992 Toyota 4X4 - 324,000+ miles and still kicking
    2000 F350 XLT SD 7.3L PSD DRW CC LB 4x4

Russia
    I'am reading some posts regarding 3102 sport engine tuning. If you are going to take apart your Volga engine, you might be interested.

They claim to raise up stock 3102 to 130-160 hp, with simple weight balancing/reducing, and installing titanium and berillium-bronse heavy duty parts, which are being produced and sold by Moskow Automobile Institute (MAMI). I plan to do some of that tuning next summer to my GAZ 21 engine, my 75 hp are not quite enough for modern roads. Besides more power with the same cc, means more productive engine, and that means fuel economy.
    Some pictures of the tuned parts.
    It's 3110 Volga ZMZ 406 parts, but the alternation is the same for all GAZ ZMZ engines.

The stock on the right, weight reduced on the left.

The stock flywheel.

Weight reduced flywheel, the stock is - cast iron, that one is steel.

Weight reduced cranckshaft. Who needs counterbalance?

Bronse-berillium valve "seats". You will need only 8 of them.
    That particular ZMZ 406 have 230 hp at 7000 rpm.
    The 3102 Volga tuned engine parts.

Titanium valve spring plates.
    And titanium valves. Don't have the picture, but they look the same as stock.
    In the back of the picture there is a lightened valve rocker.

Heavy valve pusher pin. (cut to see waht's incide), light hollow valve puser pin.
    There were two types of stock pins, no need to lighten, just find them.

Pick the lightest stock valve rocker (# 1 is said to be from GAZ-53 V8).

Light steel flywheel 3102, 4 kilograms!

Lighten stock 3102 flywheel - 9 kg.

Those are GAZ 21 Volga....

And that one is GAZ 3102 Volga lightened... You might find stock GAZ-21 balance their weight and install no need to reduce the weight of your stock 3102 "connecting rod" (not sure i translate the part name right). All sizes have to be the same.

USA US Texas

Thank you for the information alexandr. I'll take all of that into consideration. However, one thing has been troubling me and that is that my 3102 doesn't leak whatsoever. I mean at all. It defies your age-old leaking-Volga saying and then some. And yes, the fluids are full. So in a way it's a bit hard for me to crack open a fully-functional, non-leaking engine, tranny and diff just to inspect the internals and possibly make an upgrade or two. But I'll probably do it anyway...

And insofar as upgrades are concerned I'm trying to keep it as stock and original as possible, but an internal upgrade that can't be seen should be ok, such as a few more HP. Another example is the interior: I'd like to upgrade the seats to black leather, but not sure how well that would go over in my keep-it-original mindset, mostly because I know that these seats were not leather when my Volga rolled out of the factory. Oh well. Fun problem to have, right?

Sorry for the delay in posting; work has become busier in the past couple of weeks. I have also been gearing up to teach a class on how to rebuild a rotary. Part 1 of that class is today and the engine in question is most likely not a rebuild candidate, since both rotors blew an apex. The point to all of this is that after the session this afternoon, my time should be freed up and so I plan to return my attention to the Volga restoration. Hopefully I'll have some pictures that I can post later tonight or tomorrow.

Jerry
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

USA US Texas

Hi all-

Despite the cold that we are experiencing in Austin (we are actually seeing SNOW this morning! Yikes - what is SNOW?) I managed to get a couple of things done on the Volga last night. Not much, but something. I siphoned most of the fuel out of the tank, into cannisters and then put that fuel back in my truck. There was still some fuel that I couldn't seem to get to in the tank ... does anyone know if these tanks on a 3102 have any kind of baffling or other controls internally, kinda like a motorcycle tank does? My initial guess is 'no' but I thought I'd see if anyone might know for certain. Thanks!

I also managed to run the car until the point of fuel exhaustion, so the tank and lines should be somewhat empty now. That should help during restoration. Finally, I pulled everything out of the trunk and set it aside. While waiting for the fuel to drain, I noticed the joins in the trunk on each side above each wheel. On the passenger side there seemed to be what looked like some seam welds that were left a bit messy. I didn't have time to look closely, but it seemed like this might be how the rear quarter panel is joined with the center of the body. That is almost as much of a question as it is a statement, by the way.

Anyway, the point in mentioning this is that the passenger join seems messier than the driver's side join. I took a couple of pictures and am posting them for reference. In a way, this seems 'normal' for a Russian car, but I really don't know. Can anyone tell me anything about these? For your reference, the pictures of the interior of the trunk were taken while standing behind the car and looking down into the trunk. So the top of the picture is towards the front of the car and the bottom of the picture is towards the rear of the car.

Thanks!

Jerry

ps-Also attached is a picture of the tank and my GAZ fuel cap, just for fun!
    Attached Images
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

USA US Texas

Hi-

I finished my tax return last week and so I found time to return to working on the Volga this week. So far I'm becoming a little more concerned about the rear end the more I look at it. You can see a lot of the patch work in the two attached pictures and in the welding pictures in the previous post. As a result I am wondering what happened in this car's past that necessitated such work? An accident perhaps? Rust? Seam sealer? Preventative maintenance gone awry? Eh, in the end who knows. I just know that I'll have to fix it.

If you look at these two pictures, you will see that an old school jack is attached to the 3102 just above the passenger's tail light. However above the driver's tail light a similar attachment mechanism exists, but whatever should be present is missing. From what I can discern in the parts catalog, there should be a manual air pump located there. Can anyone confirm that? In addition, I can see in the catalog that there should be a small tool kit contained in a leather/vinyl bag, probably also located in the trunk. There is not one in my trunk however. Does anyone know if I can buy this kit as a single unit so that the restoration work can be fully completed?

Thanks!

Jerry
    Attached Images
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

Jerry, I am sure both manual pump and a tool kit could be bought from Russia.

there is a chance you won't have to buy vintage--maybe it's still available from the autoparts stores.

my Volga came with the manual air pump and both tool bags. I display them at the shows in the trunk.

so yours (if bought) should make a nice addition to your car
    1957 volga gaz-m21B
    2016 BMW X4M
    2012 ducati monster 796
    www.volga21.com

USA US Texas

Dimitri-

I agree, having these two items would be extremely cool to display at a car show. I'll bet that yours receive a fair amount of attention, glad that they came with the vehicle when you bought it. Heck when I saw my jack, even without the air pump, my first thought was " Cool! Look at that old school jack!" Combine that with an air pump (and a toolkit) and that's off the charts cool!

Thank you for the feedback. I do indeed plan on purchasing an air pump and a toolkit. I would prefer to only buy ones that are as original as possible. Don't mind buying new, so long as the new items are identical to the originals.

I hope to get back to disassembling the 3102 tonight. The jack wasn't the only thing I found in the trunk, BTW. There was also a ladies wristwatch in the depths of the seams above the passenger rear tire. It's Russian (obviously), and it appeared to be formal in style. I gave it to my wife, who liked the watch itself but wasn't too keen on the wristband, for some reason. I thought it was quite nice myself. I offered to have it repaired so that she could use it, but she wanted a new wristband, so I said "ok nevermind." Sheesh. Being married.

But now I'm straying. Thanks again. I'll try to post more results tonight.

Jerry
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

USA US Texas

RESTORATION UPDATE

Progress as of February 23rd includes:

* Trunk lid removal
    * Complete tail light assembly removal
    * Rear bumper removal

And as always, all items right down to the last bolt, nut, washer, lock washer and spacer are cataloged in a note pad and then placed in a clear plastic refrigerator bag, with contents noted on that bag. All bags kept in spare cardboard boxes.

Pictures attached for those interested. The bumper will need to be sent out to be re-chromed and have one dent removed. Tail lights are ok, but I will be replacing with the new ones that I bought in Ukraine and keeping the existing ones as spares.

Thank you for reading. I am tired, heading to sleep.

Jerry
    Attached Images
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

USA US Texas

Hi alexandr-

Yes that does help. It is the diagram from my parts catalog. Thank you for the link. The price of $30 that you mentioned was for which items? Only the tool kit? Only the pump? Both?

I couldn't tell if they are willing to ship parts to the USA, so I sent an inquiry. Also, Dmitri is looking into these items as well. Hopefully something will turn up.

Thanks again!

Jerry
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information