+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian Cars Forum migration

Hybrid View

USA US Texas

Quote Originally Posted by alexandr
    About the logo. Jerry i really need a car in the middle of the logo. Please help me choose one. I was considering putting several cars, but it does the logo too complicated. May be we should vote which car should represent our club?
    I have a proposition: ZIS 112 sport

It's a classics soviet prototype, a dream car
    it does not exist anymore, (no one will envy)
    but it represents (by my opinion) most of the meaning "russian car"
    It's extreamly BIG 2,5 tonn! 6005 cc 8 cylinder engine!
    A sports car with 2 seats... a sports tank!

zis-112-09.jpg
    The 2nd version of the car (first one is more well known)
    alexandr-

Good question. For my money, this car you have shown - while very interesting and unique - doesn't really represent the essence of what a Russian car is. In my view the best representation is the M21, followed closely by the Pobeda.

I'm open to listening to other suggestions. My vote is that if our logo must have one car (and I understand the trouble you were describing) then it should be the M21.

Anyone else care to weigh in?

Thank you for the work on the logo! (I can't wait to get rid of that vBulletin logo in the top left corner, but we must have something to replace it with...)

Jerry
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1970 Plymouth Road Runner
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1992 Toyota 4X4 - 324,000+ miles and still kicking
    2000 F350 XLT SD 7.3L PSD DRW CC LB 4x4

USA US Texas

UPDATE

As of late this afternoon I have paid for and received the backups for our Lefora forum data as it existed at that point. Therefore it becomes even more imperative that all activity on our Lefora forum is ceased. Anything posted there after this afternoon will not be included in the backups that I have received. Therefore such posts will need to be incorporated manually. There's enough work involved with our migration without the need to manually bring over posts that are not included in the backup, so please post only in our new forum.

Tonight I am working on migrating the old Lefora data. I suspect that this will require a little time to reconcile the custom Lefora data with the format of the vBulletin data. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress.

Thanks!

Jerry
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

I agree 100 percent that Volga GAZ 21 perfectly represents the best in soviet car styling. It would be very nice if Alexandr can incorporate that in our logo
    1957 volga gaz-m21B
    2016 BMW X4M
    2012 ducati monster 796
    www.volga21.com

USA US Texas

All-

Yikes. Somehow or another when running routine maintenance on our forum DB a fair amount of the content generated after our move to our new home was lost. Not sure how this happened, but in the end the buck stops here. So I have the responsibility for that. My apologies. I was able to restore most of our data from my last backup which was all the way back to this past Thursday. I was also able to work some magic and save Dmitri's post from late last night. If anything of yours was deleted, please re-post. Same goes for your personal avatars. Sorry for the hassle! Growing pains. :-)

UPDATE: I was able to save the avatars for those of you who already have them.

Still working on data migration issues. Guess I'll add more freqent backups to my list of things to do now ...

Also, please let me know if you have difficulty accessing any page in our forum. I'm working on the settings and it appears that the default values don't always do seemingly-obvious things.

Thanks!

Jerry
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

USA US Texas

UPDATE:

All- I am still working on the migration of our forum data. As you may recall, there is no procedure or known software to export Lefora data and re-import it into any other forum software, so I must write such a beast. The problem is that Lefora screws up the data they give you so much that I'm having to write a separate parser to convert it into a form that can be inserted into vBulletin. And so far every time that I think I have corrected all of the problems that they introduce, I find another one.

Anyway, I'm giving it hell. I hope to finish up by the weekend with the migration. I want to get back to working on cars!

Jerry
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

USA US Texas

Gang-

You might have noticed the post from within the past day that was clearly spam crap. I have deleted that post as well as the user who created it. 'Might have even been a bot, who knows. Regardless, I have always been aware that this type of thing can occur, which is why I required approval on our Lefora forum prior to a user being able to post. Based on this early result, we will be returning to that format on our new home. That is, either the Administrator (me) or a moderator will need to approve users who want to join. Although it is a bit of an inconvience, it does provide at least one layer of protection from that kind of thing.

Granted, it could still occur after I put the approval thing in place, but it's at least something to try and help remedy the situation. I will be making this change once I have completed the migration.

FYI.

Thanks!
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

USA US Texas

Had to repeat this today and may need to do so again, as I see another suspicious user. FYI.
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

USA US Texas

All-

I am still chest-deep in the data migration stuff. Needless to say, Lefora doesn't make it easy on you to do this. I am writing my software with a high level of maintainability as well as ease-of-use. The plan is to offer it to the public after I have it up and working, hopefully in exchange for donations. This will help with the costs of running our forum as well as our own internal donations. Anyway, I've spent well over 70 hours thus far on this project and will likely eclipse 100 easily. No worries, gotta do what you gotta do. And we needed a new home. And by the way, I already have one other Lefora user who is dissatisfied and wants to move his forum to vBulletin. I feel confident that others will follow if they know that a means exists to make the migration a bit easier.

But all of that is not the primary purpose of this update. While working on the migration I have noticed that we have been getting hit with spammers a bit, probably bots in several cases. The first thing that you should know is that this is nothing specific to us or to our forum. It is a common problem regardless of what type of forum software you use. This is why I required membership approval on Lefora prior to a user being able to post. Many other forums are experiencing this problem and there has been quite a rash of it just recently.

vBulletin has some built ins to help with this spamming thing, but for reasons of not wanting to over-protect a new forum customer right out of the box, those built ins just cover the basics. Therefore today I took some time away from the migration stuff to install some mechanisms to help with the problem. The idea is to stop spammers from even registering, let alone posting. In the end, nothing will stop "human spammers", but I can at least do a few things to prevent the other stuff and at the same time make it difficult enough for the aforementioned "human spammers" to take their act elsewhere.

In all I installed 6 features to our forum to help remedy the problem. We currently - as of this moment - have 3 users that I am keeping my eye on. If they so much as make one false move, I will delete them on the spot. But I try to give folk the benefit of the doubt, so I let them be. For now. But I digress. As I was saying: 6 new features. The most glaring of which is that all new registrations must be approved by either myself or a moderator. This will require a little more time devoted to the "housekeeping" of our forum, but we are small enough that it isn't a big deal. Again, we were doing that on Lefora anyway.

Another feature is a requirement of valid data in one of the user profile fields. Since we are an automotive related forum I created a new user profile field named "Daily Driver". Again, I made completion of this field a requirement. So when you have a minute, please edit your profile and complete that information. To do this, click on Settings at the very top right of any of our forum's webpages. This is located next to "Log Out". When the settings webpage renders, go to the "My Settings" module on the left side of your screen. In this module you will see "Edit Profile". Click on this anchor. That will render all of your profile information on the same webpage. Under the very first section entitled "Registration Required Information - All fields are required" you will see a field named "Daily Driver". Please enter your daily drive in this field. After you do that, scroll down to the bottom and click on the "Save Changes" button. This will save your data. In summary, navigate this chain:

Settings -> My Settings -> Edit Profile -> Registration Required Information - All fields are required -> Daily Driver [enter information] -> Save Changes

Ok. I won't bother you with the remainder of the mechanisms, but wanted to make you aware of at least those two. The first won't affect you if you have already registered, obviously. However the second one will, so please take just a few seconds to complete that field in your profile. Sorry for the hassle, but hey, if it helps stop spammers, I am all for it.

Thanks. I'll keep you updated on the migration.

Jerry
    Last edited by av8or1; 05-01-2011 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Added instructions for how to complete your profile's Daily Driver information.
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

USA US Texas

Quick update: I took some time to do a little checking on the three aforementioned users. So far as I could tell they were spammers, so I deleted them. Made some progress on the migration, but the bulk of time spent this weekend was on the spamming deal. I'll keep everyone updated, thanks.
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

Australia Estonia

Thanks for all your efforts in the migration Jerry, very much appreciated!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information