+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian Cars Forum migration

what about adding tags for "russian car club" to the search engines?
    1957 volga gaz-m21B
    2016 BMW X4M
    2012 ducati monster 796
    www.volga21.com

USA US Texas

Dmitri- The search engines will pick up our website in time. I won't be paying for any "sponsored links" if that's what you mean. That said, if you'd like to add us to a search engine once the new website is up and going, please feel free to do so!

One thing that I forgot to mention last night: according to the technical help section on Lefora (or what there is of it) all PM data is not included in the backups that they provide. Therefore, if you have anything in your private messages that you want to save, I suggest that you do that now. Soon enough this will go away and you won't be able to see your messages on Lefora any longer. Sorry, but it's a limitation of the Lefora backups - nothing I can do about it.

Thanks!
    Jerry
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1970 Plymouth Road Runner
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1992 Toyota 4X4 - 324,000+ miles and still kicking
    2000 F350 XLT SD 7.3L PSD DRW CC LB 4x4

USA US Texas

All-

I have completed the basic installation of vBulletin and vBadvanced CMPS last night. You should be able to create a new account and login to the new forum. Please go to our new home and create your account, but please be careful to use your exact same username or else your posts here will not correspond to your account on the new forum. betauser and I have already created our accounts and they appear to work ok.

Note that I haven't created the full structure to our forums yet. I got too tired last night when getting everything setup (it required a couple of hours to complete the procedures properly) but will flesh out the remainder of our forum tonight. This means that as of right now you won't be able to post anything to the new forum. Just create your account, see that you can login and that will be enough for today. Then as of later tonight I will make the necessary changes such that you will be able to post to our new forum. Once that is completed, I will send out a broadcast email to all members of our forum on Lefora that announces our move. I will also disable further posting on Lefora for the russiancars forum. During the next week I will work on migrating our data to the new home. However once you can post to the new forum, you should do so and stop using Lefora. Our days here are numbered. Finally, once the migration of the data has been completed, I will delete all material on the russiancars Lefora forum and simply leave one category that announces our move and gives the address of our new home. I will retain ownership of so that this message will remain visible to the public.

The second thing to note is that the new forum is currently using the default values for everything: the widgets, the avatars, the icons, the color scheme, everything. As mentioned previously, the feedback I have received from those of you who have responded is that you would rather move now and then customize the look and feel of the new forum as we go along, rather than get everything setup perfectly and then move. So you should understand that the look and feel of our new home will change for the better. So keep that in mind when you create your account. Our new home won't always have the drab look of the default values. We'll change it and your feedback regarding those changes will be appreciated!

Finally, note that vBaCMPS is being used as our homepage or splash page. vBaCMPS provides good statistical summary information about our forum and provides other information as well, such as a calendar. As the name implies, it is tied into vBulletin and in fact vBaCMPS will not run without a working vBulletin installation. So the two are seamless and together they will make a good combination for us. Without vBaCMPS, www.russiancarclub.com would resolve to a generic error-and-redirect webpage, so this is a good thing. What's really great about vBaCMPS is that it was free. I saved some cash there.

Anyway, everyone do that and let me know how it goes. I look forward to seeing you in our new home!
    Jerry
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

USA US Texas

Ok gang-

I have completed the structure to our new home by replicating the categories we had previously. Still to-do is to complete the migration of our existing data and then improve the look and feel of the new forum. First thing's first: the migration. I am beginning to work on that tonight.

That said, please discontinue all use of our forum on Lefora. Our new home is ready to begin posting, so let's use it. Please post at http://www.russiancarclub.com/ - again, we'll paint the walls and add trim to our new home as we go, but let's go ahead and move in.

Any questions, please feel free to PM me on the new forum. And speaking of PMs, please remember that if you have any PM data you want to save, do that now. Soon enough that will all be deleted, so save off anything you want to keep!

Thanks,
    Jerry
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

USA US Texas

Quote Originally Posted by alexandr
    About the logo. Jerry i really need a car in the middle of the logo. Please help me choose one. I was considering putting several cars, but it does the logo too complicated. May be we should vote which car should represent our club?
    I have a proposition: ZIS 112 sport

It's a classics soviet prototype, a dream car
    it does not exist anymore, (no one will envy)
    but it represents (by my opinion) most of the meaning "russian car"
    It's extreamly BIG 2,5 tonn! 6005 cc 8 cylinder engine!
    A sports car with 2 seats... a sports tank!

zis-112-09.jpg
    The 2nd version of the car (first one is more well known)
    alexandr-

Good question. For my money, this car you have shown - while very interesting and unique - doesn't really represent the essence of what a Russian car is. In my view the best representation is the M21, followed closely by the Pobeda.

I'm open to listening to other suggestions. My vote is that if our logo must have one car (and I understand the trouble you were describing) then it should be the M21.

Anyone else care to weigh in?

Thank you for the work on the logo! (I can't wait to get rid of that vBulletin logo in the top left corner, but we must have something to replace it with...)

Jerry
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

USA US Texas

UPDATE

As of late this afternoon I have paid for and received the backups for our Lefora forum data as it existed at that point. Therefore it becomes even more imperative that all activity on our Lefora forum is ceased. Anything posted there after this afternoon will not be included in the backups that I have received. Therefore such posts will need to be incorporated manually. There's enough work involved with our migration without the need to manually bring over posts that are not included in the backup, so please post only in our new forum.

Tonight I am working on migrating the old Lefora data. I suspect that this will require a little time to reconcile the custom Lefora data with the format of the vBulletin data. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress.

Thanks!

Jerry
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

I agree 100 percent that Volga GAZ 21 perfectly represents the best in soviet car styling. It would be very nice if Alexandr can incorporate that in our logo
    1957 volga gaz-m21B
    2016 BMW X4M
    2012 ducati monster 796
    www.volga21.com

USA US Texas

All-

Yikes. Somehow or another when running routine maintenance on our forum DB a fair amount of the content generated after our move to our new home was lost. Not sure how this happened, but in the end the buck stops here. So I have the responsibility for that. My apologies. I was able to restore most of our data from my last backup which was all the way back to this past Thursday. I was also able to work some magic and save Dmitri's post from late last night. If anything of yours was deleted, please re-post. Same goes for your personal avatars. Sorry for the hassle! Growing pains. :-)

UPDATE: I was able to save the avatars for those of you who already have them.

Still working on data migration issues. Guess I'll add more freqent backups to my list of things to do now ...

Also, please let me know if you have difficulty accessing any page in our forum. I'm working on the settings and it appears that the default values don't always do seemingly-obvious things.

Thanks!

Jerry
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

USA US Texas

UPDATE:

All- I am still working on the migration of our forum data. As you may recall, there is no procedure or known software to export Lefora data and re-import it into any other forum software, so I must write such a beast. The problem is that Lefora screws up the data they give you so much that I'm having to write a separate parser to convert it into a form that can be inserted into vBulletin. And so far every time that I think I have corrected all of the problems that they introduce, I find another one.

Anyway, I'm giving it hell. I hope to finish up by the weekend with the migration. I want to get back to working on cars!

Jerry
    1983 GAZ Volga 3102
    1987 GAZ Volga 3102
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
    1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information