+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardboard GAZ Volga M-21 models.

I built this simple model of a 1956-58 Volga M-21 from layers of corrugated cardboard, cut to the profile shapes of the car's center section and side sections. The layers were glued together, side by side, then covered with colored paper.

The model is excessively narrow in its center section, because I wanted to give it an old style toy-like appearance.
    Attached Images

Looks easy enough. I might give this a try sometime.

How do you cut everything? I am trying to cut out the shapes from cardboard like I see you have done. The scissors just crush the cardboard and I can not get nice cuts.

Any suggestions would help. I am trying to copy your M-21 and am having a terrible time.

I want to make mine wider so how much wider would I make it than what you are showing.

Sammy

Hello Sammy,

Thanks for being interested. You can use a utility knife, the kind that uses a razor blade, or an exacto knife, to cut the corrugated cardboard, for cleaner cuts. I recommend Elmer's Glue. It's non-toxic, no fumes.

Make the center section of your model two-and-a-quarter-inches wide, for a more realistic width. Each layer of single thickness corrugated cardboard is about one-eighth-inch thick. Use three layers for each side section. My model's sides are too wide; they are each a half-inch thick. Length of the model is eight inches. My model is a half-inch too long in the area ahead of the front wheels. Wheels are cut as part of the side sections.

After the layers are all glued together, I take newspaper strips, spread glue evenly on them, and glue them over the corrugated edges, around the perimeter of each section. You can see a newspaper strip along one edge, in the photo of the car's bottom (above). This provides a good base on which to glue cereal box cardboard or posterboard strips around the perimeters of each section. Over these go the strips of colored paper, and other pieces of paper for the lights, grille, windows, etc.

Please let me know about your progress or problems with this model. I plan to introduce other homemade models eventually.

The grille on my model was used on the first Volgas, 1956-58. The grille in the reference photos below show the more common grille of 1963-70. Please see our forum's Photo Gallery of Russian Cars, in the Volga topic section, for more reference photos.

Do you mean white glue? What about paste? I have a scalpel from my pappaw that is sharp would that work? Does poster board work ok? I have lots of styrofoam could I use that as filler or do you think that would not look right? What about other foriegn cars like from other parts of Russia? Have you ever made a Russia Truck? Is that masking tape on the bottom of the last picture? I have lots of masking tape my pappaw gave me lots. Could I use masking tape to make models?

Sorry for the questions but I have never found anything like this and I can not afford to buy models and I want to make models and I do not have much to work with.

I know that scissors do not work good and I keep crushing and wrinkiling the paper.

Sammy

Hello Sammy,
    The scalpel should give good, clean cuts. As with all sharp objects, please be careful. If you need to, you could ask someone else to do the cutting for you, if you feel that would be safer. Personally, I have used scissors on corrugated cardboard. Yes, it does crush the edges, but I spread the edges back in shape with my thumbnail. When the layers are all glued together, they become rigid, and crushes and wrinkles don't matter much anyway. The lighweight cardboard and colored paper will cover all that.
    You can use white glue, and yes, I have also used paste.
    On the bottom of the last picture, that is a strip of newspaper. (Please see the instructions in my previous post). I glue strips of newspaper around the edges of the corrugated cardboard, so that the cardboard or posterboard strips (yes, you can use posterboard) can have something to bond to when they are glued around the edges of the corrugated sections.

If you want to use styrofoam instead of corrugated cardboard for filler, that would be fine. For that, the paste would probably grip better than glue.
    Masking tape loses its grip after a while, and then the model comes apart. I know somebody who used masking tape to assemble many of his models, and that is what happened.

Click this link to see a hobby forum build thread showing the assembly of a corrugated cardboard model car: http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165495 You might have to join that forum in order for the photos to show on your screen, but it's free. It's Zealot Hobby Forum.

So far, the Volga is the only model of a Russian car that I have built. The other homemade models I have built are models of American cars. A couple are shown in this post, to give you an idea of what they look like. I plan to do more Russian vehicles as soon as I find time.

Thank you for your interest, and always feel free to ask questions. Keep posting. Please take a few minutes to join our forum, so you can upload photos of your model.

Until Later,

Mark

Mark, nice models you got there, I think I just found inspiration to build another model, I miss cardboard! Here is a model I built when I was a wannabe car designer, I used cereal boxes for the skin and two litter plastic bottles for the windows, I wish I never painted it, it looked like a sponsored NASCAR car with all the cereal ads on it, sorry for the bad quality of photos, that is all I have left of the model
    Attached Images

Excellent work Max! Your skill surpasses mine any day! Have you shown any of your work on the Zealot Hobby Forum and the Paper Modelers.com Forum? You definitely should!

I'm going to add the phrase " ...and other Homemade Model Cars" to the title of this topic, so we can open it up to other homemade model car efforts. I'll give the category a broader title also.

If you get time, please build any other cardboard models of Russian cars, such as your Pobeda, to add to this topic.

Thank you for showing your model. We hope to see more from you and others.

Max, my two kopeks worth: if you do another paper model, please make it your Pobeda, with instructions so the rest of us can try it. That would be great!

I second the Pobeda motion, Maxmermer. I'd like to see the Pobeda as a model.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information